jueves, 27 de diciembre de 2018

Chapter 5 V


Grimbsby, United Kindom, June 20th 2009


We had not seen each other for at least  three years. When Diego Ristón finished his degree, it took him exactly three weeks to make his first interview, less than a month afterwards, he had a signed contract with one of the biggest building companies in the world.

He spent several years in South America, pouring concrete. At the time, he had been for about a year in  Grimsby, in the UK. His job was to oversee and direct the assembly of eolic stations, both on land and sea.


I had booked a room with breakfast close to the People's Park, close to the station and not far from the harbour. My plan was to meet him, without much pre-arrangement. I had four days to plan it and a fifth to talk to him. My coverage was as a technician for mainteinane and repair of industrial machines, and by coverage I mean the story I had told anyone who wanted to listen. I was there to visit some local fisheries.


As I arrived into the station, I got myself a map of the city and region. I walked to the B&B toting my backpack and the small case for tools and a thick notebook. I had written all I could since I got it at my arrival airport and kicked the shit out of it to make it look used and beaten. I had succeeded.

After the paperwork at the B&B I got directions to a place that, I hoped, would allow me to survive the experience. On the way back I got myself some granola bars, chocolate a a few liters of water.


All things considered, most of the preliminary work was done. Jesíus had spent two weeks in Grimsby. Thanks to that  I had the habits and schedule of my target. I knew he would go running in a park nearby his home, usually around 1800. I also knew this week there was little to do, because they were not getting materials. I hoped the imminent rain would not make him chicken out.

I spent most of the morning next day making a recce of the most important areas for contact. Where he lived, the beach he used to run, the parking lot where the encounter should take place, the different approaches... I had then a quick bite and looked for alternative places and escape routes, in case something went south. 






I divided the remaining time between practicing the escape routes, shadowing my target and get to try out the encounter.

 The day of the encounter, I arrived at  17:45 to the beach area. I sat on the brick wall that delimited a small park, next to a roundabout. One of the streets that went on from the roundabout lead directly to the beach. At the end of it there was a small parking lot. Next to which there was a mini golf. From where I was sitting, I could see
the last mini golfers, pacing in the court next to the parking, were packing to go home.

The grey Vauxhall 2006, went slowly through the roundabout and headed down the street to the parking. I had no beef with the car colour because it was a leasing. I presumed that the routine of coming directly from work to the park/ beach parking lot was to avoid being lazy and remaining home. At any rate I had a while until he came back, so I took a camera out and did the tourist thingy.

I managed to get the timing right. It is trickier than you may think. The trick consist on being a little too fast and then just slow down as needed. Generally speaking people will not notice other people adjusting their pace 20 m away. They are not in collision range.

<Previous                      Next>

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Chapter 1: Improbable encounters

Threading your way through a sea of people who does not really care much about being shoved, pushed and stepped on irritates me. On top o...