domingo, 27 de agosto de 2017

Chapter 1: Improbable encounters



Threading your way through a sea of people who does not really care much about being shoved, pushed and stepped on irritates me. On top of it, once you step out of the plane in an unknown airport, you have to pay attention to all those signs that, eventually, will take you to an exit... or a police search. This does not help much when you are wading through all that people pulling a trolley. Thus I rather use a messenger bag as hand luggage.

So, there I was, after leaving the crowded terminal behind. I managed to get almost to the exit by means of elbowing soft sides whenever they were in front of me, usually looking at overpriced ties or checking the possibility of giving some years of their life on a food stand. I was, at that moment, reasonably happy with my progress and, with the exit in sight, I pressed on.

From nowhere, a fairly robust individual, with thick frames and unbelievable speed cut me off. The crash made me stagger, almost bent over by the weight my bag, balance overboard. The man turned around, looked at me deadpan behind his also thick lenses and, while holding me by the arm said -- I´m sorry, are you ok? -- with a strong American accent.
 -- Yes, excuse me -- I then moved around him and continued walking. Social conventions prevent you from splitting the head of such people open with a one of those nice chromed bins. In any case, arguing is fruitless, so I believe on cutting these discussions short. You will live longer.

I hate work trips, mostly because one cannot do things at his own pace. You have to follow what the work dictates, On the other hand there are taxis. When I arrived at the hotel, I took, as usual, some minutes to take the room in, wash myself a little, take a look at the emergency exits and generally have a look around. I took my jacket off and fished around in the pockets for those small pieces of paper you collect when you fly, refunds be coming...

A nice hotel room

I settled the travel bag onto the luggage tray and while rummaging around I turned the tv on, just to have some company. The trick is just push buttons randomly until some channel is tuned in.
 
Get some company by turning on the TV
I took my wash kit out and after fumbling with the switches (all lights on, but the working principle is just like the tv, push around) I had a look at the bathroom and hung the wash kit behind the door. I exchanged my shirt for a cotton t-shirt and I was ready for dinner.


As I crossed the reception area, I looked with evil satisfaction at the faces of the newcomers, who looked tired and weighted down by their luggage and I continued without stopping, head for the bar. Outside, darkness was settling in and dinner was very much on my menu. Another good thing from work trips is club class. That special area reserved for people who is on the move, has money or had it and are on a honeymoon and got optimistic about their budget. The concept is, that if you pay enough, you can eat at any time, whatever you might wish and sometimes drink too. Therefore, once at the operational area and armed with a plate I went for the free buffet and, flaking the happy chaps in suits who had found the drink bar, I found myself a nice quiet place. Unfortunately I do not get that treat of having a club class reservation often and I was reflecting on it as I sat. On the one side, that kind of add on is more expensive (sensibly so) and then again, the person doing the reservation is not me, so you might expect a little less motivation for extra comfort. This time I had been lucky, there was no other type of reservation available

Excuse me, is this seat taken? I looked up from my toast and cheese operations and I  faced a vaguely familial face.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Chapter 1: Improbable encounters

Threading your way through a sea of people who does not really care much about being shoved, pushed and stepped on irritates me. On top o...