jueves, 13 de julio de 2017

Prologue



At the end of the 90, many of us thought that we would live in a revival of the 80s spirit. We thought of internet as a tool to spread knowledge and free the music and other content from their physical supports and be used to fuel the fight for freedom. Ideas could flow and people could get in touch with each other at fantastic distances. Everything was so new, so sleek and promising... We are talking about modem connections of course, at least for me. Downloading a song meant hours of patience and some luck to avoid disconnection on the other side. It was just coincidence that  I met John. John had a sizeable music library, something almost unimaginable for me. While I assaulted Kb after Kb his treasures, we developed a sort of friendship

 Besides teaching me about music, John Explained me the way he had followed to furnish his music library. He was truly a music lover and he had gone to many concerts since his teens in New Your. During College he had discovered another passion; computers and computer programming. Both his passions could be combined and I have no trouble on imagining him in his small shared room in the dorm, with his headphones and green code sentences crisscrossing the monitor.

Don´t get me wrong, John was not an asocial chap, not a freak, computer -science looking guy. He had quite some and varied friends, which he met often and cutting my connection in the process. His work was not particularly absorbent, as he used to say. He worked for a small  US government agency, which was focused on predicting the climate. He worked with algorithms, long codes and thousands of data points. About myself... I had not yet started College. It was indeed in my mid, but I was unsure of what was coming towards me. I had confused dreams of what you can make with a Mechanical Engineering M.S.  


Follow this story and do not miss updates https://twitter.com/voyager_tales

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Chapter 1: Improbable encounters

Threading your way through a sea of people who does not really care much about being shoved, pushed and stepped on irritates me. On top o...